“Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.”~1 Corinthians 6:19-20
Our bodies are gifts given to us. These bodies are the vehicles which allow us to serve God and our fellow human beings. They allow us to experience the gift of life. We are only given one chance to live, one body to work with. How are you doing with treating your body as a temple, remembering that you were made in the image of God?
There is so much evidence about the effects on our bodies of many different things–smoking, sugar, lack of sleep, etc. Young people often make health choices and don’t see the negative effects. So they continue to make those choices, not realizing the cumulative damage that these choices are having upon their bodies.
It can be difficult to lead a healthy lifestyle nowadays. I am thinking specifically of living in North America. There are ingredients in the foods sold in our stores that are banned in other countries! This society also encourages us to produce, produce, produce. This can lead to large amounts of stress, less sleep, and even less time to prepare and eat healthy meals. Many jobs are also sedentary. Most people are not getting the exercise they need to stay healthy. Is it any wonder that people are stressed out and sick?
As in the other areas of life, God is calling us to be different. We are called to honor our bodies as creations of God! As the verse at the beginning of the post states, we were bought with a price! Christ gave His very body so that we might live. By taking care of our bodies, we are honoring God and His sacrifice on the cross.
Here is a checklist I came up with to figure out how we’re doing well and where we can ask God’s grace to make improvements (and perhaps find an accountability partner):
- Am I getting the sleep my body needs each night in order to feel refreshed and ready to do God’s work the next day?
- Am I choosing foods that nourish my body and leave me feeling energetic and healthy?
- Do I take opportunities to exercise and move my body?
- Am I listening to negative music, watching bad movies, or spending time with other unholy and draining influences?
- Do I respect my own body and the bodies of others, in my thoughts, words, and actions?
- Am I taking care of my emotional health and taking opportunities to recharge and also to spend time with positive community?
- Do I love the way that God made me or do I think negative thoughts about myself?
- Am I nourishing my soul by spending time in prayer with God?
- Am I honoring the Sabbath and refraining from unnecessary work on that day?
What tips do you have for taking care of the temple of your body?