Jesus was the Son of a carpenter. He would have, then, followed in the footsteps of His (earthly) father. The time between the beginning of His ministry and His death and Resurrection was 3 years. Jesus likely began carpentry at a young age and assisted Joseph
for many years in this trade, until the time His ministry began. Thinking of our lives, He’s given us many tools to use. These tools may not be a saw or a hammer, but they are what He’s given us to use as we build our lives alongside Him. These tools help us in various ways as we work out our salvation with “fear and trembling.” These tools help us to navigate our lives. Because Jesus was a carpenter, it seems fitting that He works through so many circumstances in our lives by various tools.
This life is a difficult journey. There are seasons where we can feel the grace and sunshine on us moment by moment. Other seasons? Not so much. Other seasons are dark and we struggle constantly. We may feel helpless sometimes. Thankfully, our Father hasn’t left us alone.
What tools has He given us to navigate and build our lives?
- His Word-His word provides consolation, comfort, conviction, guidance, and anything else we could ever need.
- His Holy Spirit-After Jesus ascended to the Father, He sent the Holy Spirit to be with us forever, to lead, guide, and console us!
- Prayer-We can connect with the GOD of the universe wherever we are! How amazing is that? Even better, there are styles of prayer to suit every personality, from silent and meditative prayer to belting out in praise!
- Other people-We can receive encouragement and confirmation from others. Others can provide wisdom and strength that we need. The Lord did not create us to be alone–in fact, we can’t make it alone through life. Human love can teach us in a small way about the love our Creator has for us.
- Counselors-These trusted people help us walk through the broken pieces of our life and into more whole versions of ourselves.
- Books-Good books teach, heal, guide, and inspire.
- Nature-Nature is a great way to connect with our Creator and de-stress. Nature teaches us so much about our Creator and His ways.
- Art and music-Like nature, these gifts of beauty show us Who our Creator is. They can be very healing for many people.
- Writing-Pouring one’s heart onto paper is very helpful for many people.
- Prophets and the prophetic-These experiences can confirm what the Lord is speaking over our lives.
- Laughter-This gift helps us to relax. It helps us to connect with others and is positive physically and emotionally.
- Tears-Tears are the words our hearts speak when life seems too much for us to carry. Tears are a release for our body and our emotions. Sometimes they are also a supernatural gift from the Holy Spirit.